[thelist] Multiple Templates vs Multiple Style Sheets

Dave Merrill dmerrill at usa.net
Sun Mar 13 08:29:35 CST 2005

Hi Rachell,

Some ideas:

- Use global styles that apply to all nav manus, showing them in their
"closed" state, and a separate class that can be applied to "open" menus.
Then each page could just use the class "menu_open" (or whatever) where and
when it's needed.
  I realize that in a way, that's not following the philosophy of purely
structural markup. Still makes sense to me, and it's simple.

- Give the body element on each page a unique id or class. That lets you
have one global stylesheet, with some rules that apply only to specific
pages. If you have a ton of page-specific stuff, this can get unwieldy, but
just the few nav items probably isn't too bad.
  Here's some example info:
http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200503/setting_the_current_menu_state_
with_css/

- If you don't know ColdFusion, PHP, ASP or some other server-side language,
you may want to learn one. That gives you the ability to build pages on the
fly out of collections of reusable parts, and/or modify their content on the
fly, using any logic you like.

Dave Merrill