[thelist] Browser Based WYSIWYG Editors

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 16:42:37 CST 2005

Technically speaking Opera does not support design mode / contenteditable mode.

You cannot even get a selected text in a textarea or the cursor
position of  the textareea in Opera.

I'd be glad if they supported. But I don't think they plan to add
support to these issues in the short run.

The only thing you can do for Opera is to is to make the richtextedit
component degrade gracefully. There are several rte components that
work in mozilla, NS and IE together. Which is good enough since
mozilla and IE cover more than 95% of the audience in practical web
applications.

Since you are creating a CMS, you can force or at least suggest users
to use a certain technology in the backend. Imho for CMS systems, it's
sufficient enough to make front end render and function almost equally
in all browsers (including lynx, braille displays if you consider
accessibility as a part of functionality).

You can be more relaxed on the backoffice side. Else you wil be
limited to simple textboxes. You will ask users to enter proper HTML
and validate the HTML on the client side or server side (possible
using dozens of regexps, which is a though-enough process on its own).

<tip>
blogger has a nice wysiwyg editor which produces valid XHTML code. You
may consider reverse-engineering it.
</tip>

as per flash, its formatting capabilitiy is limited and you cannot
generate images, tables etc. The html code it produces is a garbage as
well.

cheers.
Volkan.