[thelist] determine if a server is running unix

Roger H. rogerharness at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 18 19:30:52 CST 2005

Evolters,

Is there a way to remotely tell if an intranet's server is running some form
of UNIX or not? I get a chance to work on an online database application, IF
they have MySQL/PHP running, or at least the potential.

I had someone upload a info.php file with the <?php phpinfo() ?> in it, but
it only printed that to the web page. Does that automatically mean the
server does NOT have PHP installed, or isn't even a unix server?? a windows
server could no way run that file, right?

Sorry for such a dumb question, I just can't seem to figure this out.

As always, TIA.

-Roger Harness