[thelist] Apache mod_rewrite

William Ross will at spanner.org
Mon Mar 21 12:18:41 CST 2005

On 21 Mar 2005, at 17:53, Rob Smith wrote:

>> Have you got a real /byhand/ directory there?
>
> Nope. That's the whole idea behind this approach. There could be
> thousands
> of these and I wanted a one shot kill all using mod_rewrite.

Well, obviously. And if you did accidentally have a real directory of
that name there (and DirectoryIndex was disallowed) you would see the
error that you reported.

> Now I just read (http://www.sitepoint.com/article/guide-url-rewriting/2
> about a screen scroll down) that after I restart apache,

That only applies to rules in httpd.conf or one of its Included files.
You don't need to restart for changes to .htaccess to take effect.

Like I said, look at the server logs. They'll tell you where the 403
error is coming from. And then, once they're working, put the rules in
your host configuration instead.

will