[thelist] Marking up the right way

Chris Heilmann lists at onlinetools.org
Thu Mar 24 05:06:46 CST 2005

>>> So I'm thinking that although the result sets fall neatly  enough into
>>> table data, the expansion thing is problematic.
>
> Suggest you take a look at the following, which dropped into my RSS
> feed this morning. Sounds like it might be an ideal solution:
>
> 	http://www.yourtotalsite.com/archives/javascript/
> automagically_collapsing_/Default.aspx
>
> You still get the issue of people without Javascript seeing *all* the
> info upfront, but that might not be a problem depending on length.

Very sweet script. The only problem I can see is that it uses the
block:none way of hiding and showing the element, which will also
effectively hide the content from assistive technology:
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=ScreenreaderVisibility

A way around that is to use the off-left technique.
Another improvement would be to fix the check for collapsible (now a table
with the class "mynoncollapsible" would also collapse) by checking for the
word via regexp.
Last one to think about would be to allow for different classes to define
the hidden and shown state, as explained there:
http://www.onlinetools.org/articles/unobtrusivejavascript/cssjsseparation.html

--
Chris Heilmann
Blog: http://www.wait-till-i.com