[thelist] Emailing a form...using ASP!

Ian Anderson ian at zstudio.co.uk
Thu Mar 24 11:16:55 CST 2005

Chris Kavanagh wrote:

> Dear list!
>
> A client wants the contents of a contact form emailed to a certain
> address.  Fine...but their hosting package only supports ASP, which
> I've never used.  Could anyone who has a minute to spare give me a
> starting push?

Most IIS servers have a default mailing service called CDONTS installed
and you can use this. IIS 6.0 replaced CDONTS with CDOSYS though, and on
Windows 2003 servers you may have to use this instead.

Google either of CDONTS or CDOSYS  for more info or try these:

http://www.evolt.org/article/ASP_email_made_easy_using_CDO/17/14951/

http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/faq/Email/faq2.shtml

Either is fine for quick and simple email. For more robust sending to
multiple recipients, more features etc, check with the ISP which
additional ASP mailer components they have installed. JMail, ASPMail and
so on are popular. They all work pretty much the same way, but you need
to check the documentation for the particular component to find out the
syntax required.

HTH

Cheers

Ian Anderson