[thelist] Re: [css-d] Pros and Cons of multiple style sheets

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Thu Mar 24 12:46:46 CST 2005

I use multiple stylesheets for all but the simplest of websites.

For styles that apply to every single page in my site, I have a sheet
called core.css.  For _most_ pages, I have default.css.  At the top of
default.css is an @import of core.css.

If a page uses just the default styles, I @import default.css into the
page (which in turn imports core.css).  If a particular section has
different styles, the page links to <sectionname>.css, which imports,
default.css, which imports core.css.  This can go further -- for
example, a subsection might have it's own sheet, which calls the main
section sheet, which calls default.css, etc. etc. ....)

It's extremely flexible and reasonably easy to maintain.  An added
bonus is that any time I do change something, I know exactly at what
scale the change will affect my entire site

Steve