[thelist] Removing link colors

Chris Kavanagh chris at logorocks.com
Sun Mar 27 04:41:01 CST 2005

Good morning, Christian,

> I would be  very interested to hear why making links blend into a text
> is good design and a good idea.
> The argument that it is an intranet application and the  users will be
> trained is a feeble one at best. It is like saying "We publish this
> induction leaflet to each new joiner of the company. It is in
> cantonese, but Lee is very happy to help them to understand it".

I would normally tend to agree with you - leverage existing user
knowledge and all that - but in this case I want to use colour to
convey a meaning.

Here's a grab of my (work-in-progress) task management system, which
incidentally was supposed to have been finished more than eleven hours
ago:
http://www.logorocks.com/heresy.tiff

Inspired by the Mac version of Outlook (Entourage), the tasks are
colour coded as to which project they belong to.  They are clickable,
but the users will be trained to know that's the case, and I think it's
pretty obvious anyway.  What're your thoughts?

I considered keeping the underlines for all the links, but it looked so
damn ugly.  I'm personally of the opinion that beauty enhances
usability and is worth striving for - it's so often ignored and treated
with disdain, which is I think short-sighted for a visual medium.

Ciao!
CK.

--

The woods are lovely, dark and deep