[thelist] The old Google indexing issue

Michele Foster (WizarDev) michele at wizardev.ca
Fri Apr 1 11:47:32 CST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Hayes" <chris at lwcdial.net>

> >What gave you the impression that it parsed the HTML in the document for
any
> other purposes than the find the content within the page?
> the Web, evolt !
>
> I have an SEO "expert" claiming the incorrect DOCTYPE is causing a
problem.  He's going to have to prove it.  I don't want anybody spending any
time on this, especially you good folk.  So I really just want to know if
anyone can give a quick "Oh yes" or "No way"  in case I mistakenly blow a
fuse at this guy .
> --

To be perfectly honest, I've never heard of anything so ridiculous.  Ok,
yeah I have.  :)

Seriously, I wouldn't mind seeing the page/site if you want to share the
URL.

Just imagine for us Standards purists .. wouldn't it be amazing if Google
refused to index pages that didn't meet even the most basic of
Standards-based web development .. even if that were only to Validate to
specs.  *one can dream*

I think there is an argument to be made, that Google "likes" properly marked
up documents better than ones that are not marked up correctly.
Unfortunately, I don't have time to go find some resources to back up my
argument right now.  I'm sure there are some around though.  :)

Mich