[thelist] The old Google indexing issue

Chris Hayes chris at lwcdial.net
Fri Apr 1 13:19:56 CST 2005

Thanks for your responses.  I really have thought of all these arguments and
made the case, it's still come back to me.

The site is:

http://www.motor.org.uk/

In my opinion the problem is the URL structure which is far from standard.
Nevertheless this structure has been in use on this site for years and
didn't have a problem.  It's also built this way with an /index.html suffix
to help various stats packages.

The site stopped indexing after the design upgrade which is why the finger
is still pointing at the DOCTYPE and validation.

If I can discard the DOCTYPE issue I might set about changing all the URLs,
strangely not as big as job as it might seem but I'm not sure what I'll
change it to.

Any better ideas?