[thelist] Border problem

Kasimir K evolt at kasimir-k.fi
Mon Apr 4 13:53:32 CDT 2005

Dave Merrill scribeva in 2005-04-04 17:37:
> But, like setting display: table, that prevents it from being next to other
> elements. I can't use a div, then set it to inline, and get the same effect,
> right? Display: inline would undo the blockness, yes?

It looks like you want to have an inline box and a block box at the same
time, but unfortunately you can have only one or the other. Read
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#box-gen for info on CSS's box
model: "Inline-level elements are those elements of the source document
that do not form new blocks of content; the content is distributed in
lines". A line is just one line - it is not many lines.

To get the kind of border you are after, you just have to use a block
box. If you want to have it next to other elements, then you can flot
it: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#floats

.k