[thelist] mail function not working in PHP

Ken Robinson kenrbnsn at rbnsn.com
Tue Apr 5 09:40:46 CDT 2005

Quoting Sales <sales at lycosa.co.uk>:
> I have a problem sending emails via the mail function in PHP. I am
> running Linux/Apache, and the mail function returns a positive result,
> and no error. However, the email never arrives. The server is a recently
> set up dedicated server, and I have assigned newly purchased IP
> addresses to all my domain accounts. There should therefore be no
> blacklist problems. The hosts are dragging their heels with solving
> this, and I want to get on.. As far as I can see, all the usual
> php/apache/linux settings are in place and set up correctly. I have also
> tried sending to a number of different domains including hotmail.

First, if the IP address was used in the past by someone else, there
could be a
blacklisting problem.

Second: Can you post the code that generates the email.

If you send an email to yourself on the server, do you get it?

If this is a dedicated server, do you have SSH access to it and do you
have root
access?  If you have root access, you can look at the email logs to see
whether
the email is being sent.

Ken