[thelist] Frontpage verses Dreamweaver

Ian Anderson ian at zstudio.co.uk
Mon Apr 11 04:32:13 CDT 2005

Niceperrson at aol.com wrote:

>Is it easier to desigh web pages in dreamweaver instead of frontpage Does
>anyone use dreamweaver if so what is your experience.

No offence, mate, but are you serious? I smell something suspicious in
your email address. Never mind; even if you're not real, some people may
be interested in seeing differing views on this.

1. Frontpage is probably easier to use if you are not a professional web
designer. Probably easier for other people to share the maintenance of
the site if you use Frontpage. Although, Macromedia Contribute works
very well with Dreamweaver sites in these situations.

2. Dreamweaver is a far better product overall; it's for professional
web designers. Learning Dreamweaver and web design will help you with
your work career.

3. Some people will look down their noses at any visual editor; I think
this is unhelpful. My experience has been that while generated code is
often sloppy and untidy, it usually works. Hand-written code is subject
to the knowledge, patience and consciensciousness of the author. The
worst code I have had to work with has always been hand-written by
people who didn't know better or didn't care. It isn't the typing that
makes hand-written code better, it's the brain on the end of the
fingers. Whether those fingers use a mouse and click to make code, or
type, is irrelevant to the quality of the result.

Orrabest

Ian