[thelist] Gotta build an FTP function

Peter Brunone (EasyListBox.com) peter at easylistbox.com
Tue Apr 19 13:39:02 CDT 2005

Hi Chris,

> Well, I think they want their clients and suppliers to not need an app
> to manage their files, to do it via the website.

   Makes sense.  I just wanted to make sure the obvious hadn't been overlooked.

> A browser is kind of
> an FTP client anyway, right?

   Kind of.  It's more like a multipurpose TCP client that can handle a number of different sub-protocols in varying degrees of usefulness.

> > Also, what's your web server platform?

> Not decided yet, actually. Does that have important ramifications?

   It might; some premade solutions are available for some platforms (e.g. CF as you mentioned) and not for others.  If you're on Windows with ASP.NET available, you could whip up an HTTP-based solution pretty quickly -- or find one already written -- using the native file upload and file system management capabilities of the .NET framework.  You could do something similar on BSD, for example, but you wouldn't have .NET as an option (yet).

   I'm sure with this group, you'll find quite a few PHP solutions, so platform concern won't be as much of an issue.

Cheers,

Peter

 From: Chris Kavanagh chris at logorocks.com

Dear Peter,

>    Why would they need an "FTP function" instead of just an FTP client?

Well, I think they want their clients and suppliers to not need an app
to manage their files, to do it via the website. A browser is kind of
an FTP client anyway, right?

>    Also, what's your web server platform?

Not decided yet, actually. Does that have important ramifications?

Kind regards,
CK.