[thelist] Looking for secure, corporate IM client/server

Chris Johnston fuzzylizard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 22:18:06 CDT 2005

On 4/19/05, Ken Schaefer <Ken at adopenstatic.com> wrote:
> I think you have a few options. All the major vendors have some kind of
> corporate IM product (Lotus has "Sametime", Microsoft has "Live Communication
> Server"), and as others have mentioned there is Jabber.
>
> You need to look at the feature set you want:
> a) Do you want to encrypt and/or sign communications?
> b) Do you want to have a central archiving function for storing
> communications for later retrieval?
> c) Do you want the ability to centrally lockdown the environment so that
> people can't alter the settings of the client and connect to external
> sources.

Sticking with the Open Source idea of Jabber, how many of the above
criteria does it satisfy? What are peoples impression of Jabber?

--
chris johnston

www.fuzzylizard.com

"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals and
something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination, we
learned to talk."
Pink Floyd