[thelist] Competitors of Microsoft Content Management Server

Burhan Khalid thelist at meidomus.com
Wed Apr 20 05:43:56 CDT 2005

Ken Schaefer wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I think Vignette's dropped a bit in profile over the last couple of years.
> I've never had any experience utilising it, but the overall impression I get
> was that it was overpriced for what you got - it was difficult to bend it to
> your will so to speak.
>
> Another competitor not mentioned here is Interwoven's Teamsite, which is used
> at a few large places that I know. Again, I have experience with the backend
> infrastructure.

Teamsite and Vignette seem to be the "Enterprise Platforms" category at
cmswatch.com, where Microsoft's CMS product is in the "Upper Tier" category.

The following other products are in the same segment as Microsoft's CMS
product (adding them here incase anyone hits this thread in a search):

Rhythmx [1]
Content Server 5.5 [2]
Mediasurface 5.1 [3]
Livelink Web Content Management Server [4]
Communique 3.5.4 [5]
Tridion R5 V5.1 [6]
Workplace WCM [7]

So the research continues :) Thanks for the replies.  I was hoping to
find something specific for my client (a media organization), but
everything seems to be overly generic (requiring a lot of custom
development of modules and what not).

The closest product that I found was Mediasurface, but my only
information is from the website -- which is all just marketing gobbeldygook.

Regards,
Burhan

1. http://www.percussion.com/
2. http://www.fatwire.com/