[thelist] browser detection on server side

Michael Pemberton evolt at mpember.net.au
Thu Apr 21 03:18:44 CDT 2005

Fellow Evolters,

I apologise in advance if I am covering old ground, but....

Has anyone else started having problems with some sites that use the
UserAgent header string to decide what functionality to offer?

I recently found that Microsoft was not allowing me to use IE to access
officeupdate.com.  I kept telling me that I must be using a Mac and I
should go elsewhere for my updates.

Windows Update has no problems.

After I started having problems accessing an online learning service, I
was told to upgrade, then downgrade, my version of Java.  Failing that,
they said I should reinstall Windows.

It was only after I found the setting in my firewall that was altering
the header that I was able to regain access to these websites and have
them function correctly.

Is there any advantage in using the UserAgent header to alter the output
on a website, that client-side won't offer?

TIA
--
Michael Pemberton
evolt at mpember.net.au