[thelist] Someone stole my email address

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Thu Apr 21 08:01:11 CDT 2005

Chris,

This is likely one form of spam that tricks you into opening it by
pretending to be a delivery failure.  The spammer relies on the apparent
(respectable) destination to bounce the message, which means the bounce
comes from them.  Since the *bounce* comes from a respectable domain, it
gets through the first defense line of many spam blockers.

These can be hard to spot before opening, so its important that your
email viewer prohibit plugins, scripting, and remote images when opening
such.

On the odd chance that this is a relay problem, show one to your hosting
provider and request that they verify your domain's relay security.

HTH,

Phil