[thelist] browser detection on server side

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 11:12:52 CDT 2005

Maximillian,

On 4/21/05, Maximillian Schwanekamp <lists at neptunewebworks.com> wrote:
> > I recently found that Microsoft was not allowing me to use IE to access
> > officeupdate.com.  I kept telling me that I must be using a Mac and I
> > should go elsewhere for my updates.
>
> The UserAgent Switcher[0] extension for Firefox has helped me in that
> situation in the past.  Might not help you for OfficeUpdate (MS and
> their Active X), but that learning service site probably would work.

Actually, there is a bug in the JVM (that Sun has said they won't fix,
because they don't think it's a bug) where if you use the user agent
switcher to modify your user agent string, the Java plugin will exit
with an error code. (This might only be on linux. I have seen reports
of similar problems on Win, but have not tried to replicate it myself
on Win.)

--
Matt Warden
Miami University