[thelist] Javascript: onChange fires every time the page loads

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 11:55:40 CDT 2005

On 4/21/05, Iain Gardiner <iain at firelightning.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Warning!  JS newbie coming through.  I have a problem with attaching
> onchange handlers to menu options.  The full script I am referring to is
> at http://www.firelightning.com/js/switcher.js and the specific function
> is this:
>         var styleMenu = document.getElementById('styleMenu');
>         // Attach an onchange event to each menu option:

You don't need the loop at all. getElementById returns 1 element and
you set the onchange handler on that one.

styleMenu.onchange = function()
{
setStyle(this.options[this.selectedIndex].value]);
}
You also should use a non-Javascript fallback and offer a go button
for that one.

Lastly there is no need for a fieldset around a single dropdown element.

--
Chris Heilmann
Blog: http://www.wait-till-i.com