[thelist] javascript optimization question

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 02:02:31 CDT 2005

Hi all!

I have a question on javascript scripting engine:

Does javascript scripting engine do any optimization to function call,
as in java?

Here is a simple set up:

function test1() {
   test2();
   test3();
}

function test2(){/*some code*/;}
function test3(){/*some other code*/;}

when calling test1() can test3 ever be executed before test2, given
that the execution order does not change anything (or the optimizer
thinks so)

Before that, is there a thing called "javascript optimizer" (as in
java or C#) or javascript is executed line-by-line in the order things
appear in source code.

imho, there is no such thing called a js optimizer, but I cannot be
sure. Can you give me any pointers that proves or disproves my
statement. I need to propose a very convincing explanation to my
colleague (and project leader).

Thank you very much in advance.

Cheers,
Volkan.