[thelist] Asp.net n-tier error-handling

Les Lytollis leslytollis at dimensions-corporatewear.co.uk
Fri Apr 22 05:17:55 CDT 2005

Hi All

I have a data-driven web site selling workwear to business customers.

We extract the order and product data, etc using a nightly batch job
from our back office systems.
If this extract fails the site produces an error message such as "no row
at position 0" - which is not terribly useful to our customers.

I have seen in the past a way of handling errors at various levels by
using some sort of enum struct to produce more meaningful messages. Does
anyone know what I am talking about, and if so can you please point me
in the direction of a good example or explanantion for ASP.net / c# /
SQL Server?

TIA
Les Lytollis
Web Developer