[thelist] TIP: Browser/server interactivity without page reloads

Ian Anderson ian at zstudio.co.uk
Wed Apr 27 10:03:46 CDT 2005

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK wrote:

>Although the clients will be *ahem* forced (well we have reasons) to
>use MSIE, I prefer something cross-browser.

As Volkan will see when he visits it, the technique described in that
article *is* cross-browser compatible; it's a great article that unlocks
the technique used in "Ajax" applications like Google Maps and Google
Suggest; using a JavaScript method called XMLHttpRequest to send data to
and query data from server side apps without reloading the whole page.

The data returned doesn't have to be XML, apparently, but can be any
text string.

It's going to be one of those epoch-making articles, I think, like Paul
Souden's Style switcher piece in alistapart. I'm still reeling from the
possibilities and from how easy it looks.

Cheers
Ian