[thelist] [OT] Is fixing on a certain platform/programming language good or bad?

Mattias Thorslund mattias at inreach.com
Wed Apr 27 16:31:52 CDT 2005

Keith Gaughan wrote:

> It's useful in the short term, but in the long term not a good idea. We
> are, unfortunately, at the mercy of fashion.

...and marketeering, yes.  The "fasion" in our industry is mostly driven
by marketing folks who are big on talking and "light" on technology.

We've been given so many new "revolutionary" technologies that (I hope)
we've become more sceptical of the hype by now.  When the hype over New
Technology X calms down and people start using it, we'll see whether
it's got some value.  Sometimes it does, but it's rarely as
revolutionary as the hype suggests.

I used to get nervous over all the new stuff I didn't have the time to
learn but no more.  I'll happily look at the next-to-latest stuff and
see which ones are still around.

/Mattias

--
More views at http://www.thorslund.us