[thelist] MySQL security tables mystery

Ken Moore psm2713 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 30 11:47:45 CDT 2005

Hi all,

I was in the process of learning the SQL security tables last summer an got
interrupted. Now, I am trying to get back into it. I have a program, Navicat
(a really great remote DB tool) which cannot connect to MySQL on a remote
Linux server.

The host table has “%” for both host and db fields (I know extremely
dangerous) and all others set to “Y”.
The user table has host, user, password set to “%” (also dangerous) and all
other set to “Y”;
The db table has host, db, and user set to “%” (ditto above) and all others
set to “Y”.

I did a flush tables. When I do a “killall mysqld” and a “safe_mysqld
--skip-grant-tables &”, I can get in.

Please help! And yes, I promise I will start changing the “%” back ASAP.

TIA

Ken