[thelist] Re: [CSS-Javascript] can "son of suckerfish" be implemented with timeouts?

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Tue May 3 01:00:21 CDT 2005

On 5/2/05, VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK <volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since no reply, I'll try to tell my humble final thoughts on the subject:
>
> I decided that a pure css menu is not perfect from the usability point of view.
>
> Since it is stateless, it disappears all of a sudden when the cursor
> goes out of it.
> One may argue that, you can make the menu not dissappear by tabbing
> rather than using the mouse pointer. But if I can use my pointer to
> reach the menu item, why on earth should I tab a thousand times to
> reach the proper menu element?

Have you looked at YADM http://www.onlinetools.org/tools/yadm/
I did it for exactly the same reasons, and it'll be easy to extend it
with an autohide function. Dropdown navigations seem to be the new
mouseovers, instead of ammending other scripts everybody comes up with
an own one. YADM was built asking developers to send in own
implementations, but all I got since I published it was "doesn't work
in xyz".

I had some companies pay for its use though. :)

Seems like "flashiness" as you describe it (yay transition effects!
hard to use navigations should also be slow!) is more important than
being robust. When it comes to dropdowns, CSS is the cargo cult you
have to follow, any JavaScript solution is out of fashion, no matter
how much more sense it makes.

--
Chris Heilmann
Blog: http://www.wait-till-i.com