[thelist] opinions on CMS solutions

Burhan Khalid thelist at meidomus.com
Sat May 7 02:08:49 CDT 2005

pouncyisdead wrote:
> I know that this is a commonly asked question, but, do any of you have a
> recommendation for a low-cost, xhtml-valid, content management system? My
> small company is looking for a CMS that includes support for versioning, and
> syndication.
>
> About us: we are a sports information group with 4 medium sites running on a
> single windows 2003 server. We've looked into Vignette, Cm3, Documentum and
> Acuity, but were unhappy with the total costs. Sadly, must of the free
> offerings (DotNetNuke, Rainbow) didn't seem robust enough for the constant
> updates and reports that we do each day.

I also ran into a similar situation a few weeks back (posted a tip about
it too).

A lot of people are mentioning Drupal, but I agree with Jeff that there
is no need to switch just to get a solution. Plenty of solutions are
available for all platforms, you just have to search.  I do like drupal
and have used it before, but just to switch to another language for a
platform -- its not something I would do hastily.

I don't know how far you have researched, but as I found out -- there
are different "classes" of CMS systems.  For example, Vignette is an
enterprise-class system, and its not at the same level (in both price
and features) as say Microsoft's CMS Server, so it might be a good idea
to check those products that fall into the right category.

Please post back your results, as this type of question usually comes up
once every two weeks.

Best of luck,
Burhan