[thelist] Monthly Counts in order

Michele Foster (WizarDev) michele at wizardev.ca
Tue May 10 02:21:21 CDT 2005

Another SQL question ...

SELECT Month(RefDate) as MyMonth, Year(RefDate) as MyYear, COUNT
(Month(RefDate)) AS MonthlyTotal
  FROM ext_Refs
  GROUP BY Month(RefDate), Year(RefDate)

This is giving me the correct totals for the month ..

October 2004 = 32
January 2005 = 158
May 2004 = 44

However, I need the output in chronological order (May 2005 first).  Can't
seem to get an ORDER BY to work .. and still give me the monthly totals.

If I add the ORDER BY to the end, after the GROUP BY, I get this error:

Column name 'ext_Refs.RefDate' is invalid in the ORDER BY clause because it
is not contained in either an aggregate function or the GROUP BY clause.

If I add RefDate to the GROUP BY clause, gets rid of the above error, but I
no longer get monthly totals, but daily totals instead.

I'm stumped ... perhaps because it's after 3:00 a.m. ;)

Thanks,
Mich