[thelist] SEO

Jay Blanchard jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com
Wed May 11 15:45:43 CDT 2005

[snip]
We haven't dropped a dime in SEO companies or advertising efforts to any
of
those type of companies, yet when you search our industry terms (not
product
names) we're always within the top 4 or 5, usually #1. What are ALL the
criteria for high rankings? Is it cross linking? meta tags? pure
context?
what?
[/snip]

There are a combination of things including all that you have mentioned.
The fact of the matter is that the company that you work for is highly
specialized and your potential customers do not go to the web looking
for your products. Your website is primarily used for information,
education, and  support, as are the others in your industry. New
customers come to you via other channels, using your website to gather