[thelist] Customizing Reader

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Thu May 12 03:00:21 CDT 2005

> Hello Everyone:
>
>    A client has asked is it possible to customize the embedded PDF
> reader that launches in browsers.  I know its possible to customize pdf
> files themselves using Javascript, but I'm not too sure about the reader.
>
>    The main issue is that the client wants the reader to be integrated
> with the overall theme of the site.  My initial idea is to use a page
> with an iframe, then load the pdf in the iframe.  I'm not sure if this
> is the best approach.

I'd be very suprised if there were a way to totally customise the
controls of adobe acrobat reader.
I also consider it a really bad idea. By changing the controls  you
make yourself as a designer responsible for the usability of the
reader as a product, if you flag up in the  link that the following
document is a PDF, the visitors will know what to expect - and
probably download the document rather than looking at it online.

If you really want control over the reader's look and feel, why don't
you parse the PDF and write an own  reader. After all clients who want
to have full  control over the app will love you for reinventing the
wheel for them.