[thelist] Hosting multiple domains

Robert Gormley robert at pennyonthesidewalk.com
Mon May 16 10:56:11 CDT 2005

rhett crowe wrote:

> I usually work on a proprietary server, so have not had much
> experience with shared ones. I will be setting up my own space soon,
> and I notice some hosts allow multiple domains. How does this work?
> Can I have a site named www.rhett.com and another named www.dogs.com
> and only pay for one hosting (considering they stay within space
> allotments)? What are the pros and cons?
> Thanks for clearing up a dumb question :)
> Rhett

Your best bet is probably a 'reseller account', usually designed to have
a lot of domains - because your biggest issues with shared servers
offering multiple domains, is that there will often be an added fee,
actually only be subdomains, or be domain aliases, pointing to the one
site (granted, then, you could do some php/etc trickery to redirect
based on HTTP_HOST headers), but reseller accounts tend to be what
you're looking for. The one I use is www.a2hosting.com

Rob