[thelist] SEO

Jono ox4dboy at comcast.net
Mon May 16 16:28:12 CDT 2005

On May 12, 2005, at 4:42 PM, Christian Heilmann wrote:

>> Can some one please explain the difference(s) between navigation that
>> is indexable, and navigation that is NOT indexable?
>
> Navigations that have "real" links that can be followed by a search
> engine spider are indexable. Non-indexable navigations either need
> JavaScript for the links or Flash or Java.
>
> Another stopper can be if your links are overly complicated like
> index.php?section=1&content=23&style=5.
>
> This means that bad usability/accessibility practises also get
> punished by search engines, which is something wonderful.

Is there a way to make Flash links indexable?  Adding URL links to a
Flash file is simple in Flash, but can they be applied in HTML?

I have never tried (or thought about) it before, but perhaps wrapping
an <a> around a Flash file would do the trick?

</a>

and then:

#flashWrapper  {
	width: 744px;  /* width of Flash file */
	height: 120px;  /* height of Flash file */
	padding: 0;
	margin: 0;
	}
#flashWrapper a {
	display: block;
	width: 744px;  /* width of Flash file */
	height: 120px;  /* height of Flash file */
	padding: 0;
	margin: 0;
	text-decoration: none;
	}

Maybe use z-index to lay the <a> on top of the Flash file?  Is that
even possible.  I can't imagine the amount of worm coming out of the
can I am trying to open.