[thelist] Best Practices For Online Report Formatting

Megan Holbrook meganwh at wi.rr.com
Tue May 17 09:12:37 CDT 2005

Burhan Khalid wrote:

>   I can display the reports in a crude way (as simple tables with
> alternating color rows).  Is there a best/recommended way to format
> these reports?

Since you're dealing with what can be fairly dry information, you might
also consider publishing graphs along with the individual reports,
either generated in Excel, or one of the graph-generating scripts that
is available (I can't make a specific suggestion but I know that there
are a few out there). Graphs give users a more intuitive way to review
the data which can be very helpful.

  Also, what are the recommendations for interactivity? As
> an example, in my sales report, each product that is listed is linked to
> its desciption/meta information -- each supplier is linked to their
> record, etc. I have a feeling that this is not the correct way to do
> things, but since I'm only a developer I don't know quite how to fix it.

I don't see these links as an issue - it is useful to have quick access
that way. To make it easier to return to the report, however, you might
want to structure the link to the product or supplier info either as a)
a popup, b) a new window, or c) a window within a frameset that includes
a back button, whichever seems to be the most useful.

>   Specifically for summary reports, is it recommended to have a link for
> each period report (quarterly, yearly, monthly) or just have a link for
> a report, then allow the user to pick the period?

If you list just Sales by Supplier, Sales by Category, and Sales by
Campaign, then you can allow the user to choose the period of report
once they get to the page (monthly, quarterly, yearly, etc.). This is
the way that financial sites such as Yahoo present their charts (see
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=%5EDJI&t=1d&l=on&z=m&q=b&c=). You could
also just have a link that says "Sales Reports" and then allow the user
to choose their view and date range once they get to the area (using 2
sets of radio buttons, for instance).

If you want to get a lot more complex, you could implement a
sophisticated chart generating script along with a database of sales
information that would allow a user to choose their own range of
dates/products/suppliers, etc. and then generate comparison graphs on
the fly.

HTH,

M.
Megan Holbrook - megan at kapow.com
Partner - Business Development
kapow, inc. (www.kapow.com) - website design and development

kapow, inc. Milwaukee               kapow, inc. Los Angeles
2405 E. Wyoming Place               1301 Montana Ave., Suite A
Milwaukee, WI 53202                 Santa Monica, CA  90403
T: 414-273-2446 * F: 419-278-9056   T: 310.394.5276 * F: 310.394.5278