[thelist] Nested forum site ideas

Joel Konkle-Parker jjk3 at msstate.edu
Wed May 18 09:27:58 CDT 2005

I have an idea here, and I'm wondering what the right tool is to accomplish it.
I'm haven't fleshed it out completely, but here are the basics.

There will be several threads of discussion on the site, each of which can be
started by a user. Each thread will involve two (and only two) users in a
back-and-forth manner. One will write a passage, then the other will write a
passage, and back again.

These passages will form a main thread. Each passage, however, will be rated and
commented upon by any other registered or anonymous user, making each passage
analogous to the heading of its own less restricted thread.

So there will be one main site containing several main threads, each consisting
of a back-and-forth set of passages by two registered users. Each passage will
also be the head of a subthread commenting on that passage.

So far, I've considered forum software, like phpBB, and blog software, like
Wordpress.

Forum software has the commenting and voting infrastructure in place, but deals
only with single threads, like those formed by the back-and-forth passages
themselves, or those formed by users commenting on each passage. But I see no
easy way of linking these two dimensions together.

Blog software is designed for posting of (and commenting on) passages. Each blog
entry would be a single passage in this main back-and-forth thread. But again,
I see no easy way of linking these passages together to make one large
overarching thread.

If this made any sense at all, does anyone have any ideas about how this could
be done? If not, maybe I can draw a picture or something.

Thanks in advance.

--
Joel Konkle-Parker
Webmaster  [Ballsome.org]