[thelist] Chicken cam, UK

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Fri May 20 04:58:25 CDT 2005

Hi folks

OK, just for fun, help me work out whether this is possible.

I'm in the UK. My dad has just set up a chicken coop on his allotment.
We're about to go on a narrowboat holiday, and he's worried about
them.

Is it possible, affordable even, to set up a webcam so we can check on
the chickens.

Besides the normal webcam issues, the allotment has no power supply.
Also I won't have a computer on the narrowboat, I'll just have a
phone.

For now I'm guessing I might have to buy a cheap but durable webcam
that'll work for a week on a battery, and some sort of means to
deliver its output to a website. I'm thinking a cheap phone, but
that's only half the problem I think.

Do I need the 'web' part in the middle .. is it possible to use a
cameraphone as a remote camera, and just switch it on as required.

I think through that, I'm looking for reasonably moving pictures on
demand, if because of bandwidth that turns into a slideshow that's
fine.

Thoughts anyone?