[thelist] Chicken cam, UK

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Fri May 20 10:11:59 CDT 2005

Kasimir K wrote:
> john at johnallsopp.co.uk scribeva in 2005-05-20 09:58:
>
>> Do I need the 'web' part in the middle .. is it possible to use a
>> cameraphone as a remote camera, and just switch it on as required.
>
> I was about to write that as the chickens hardly would answer any
> incoming calls, you need to use the internet to connect these two points.
>
> But then on a second thought, there probably exists mobile phones with
> a) video calls, and b) automatic answering. You just stick one of such
> phones in the allotment, and when you make a call to it, it answeres and
> starts video call automatically. Once you are assured that the chickens
> are doing fine, just hang up.

Most 3G phones have the standby battery life of a wet cabbage, so that's
probably not gonna work for a week.  Perhaps secured laptop (i.e. in steel
lock box) with power from Solar -> DC convertor and WiFi connection using
the old bean can antenna method to direct the signal to a remote point?
Obvious "microwaved head" dangers lie within if you point it too close to
head height, but still ...

--
_ __/|  William Anderson      | "There's something about records which is
\`O_o'  neuro at well dot com |  really satisfying."