[thelist] Chicken cam, UK

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Fri May 20 10:37:53 CDT 2005

>> Most 3G phones have the standby battery life of a wet cabbage, so
>> that's
>> probably not gonna work for a week.  Perhaps secured laptop (i.e. in
>> steel
>> lock box) with power from Solar -> DC convertor and WiFi connection
>> using
>> the old bean can antenna method to direct the signal to a remote
>> point?
>> Obvious "microwaved head" dangers lie within if you point it too
>> close to
>> head height, but still ...

I hope I don't become a naysayer, but I've no laptop, and there is no
remote point to point it to. It needs to be cheaper than me buying a
laptop :-)

I think the only way to get a signal connection has to be the mobile
network (or maybe satellite, but that's too expensive, right?). Unless
someone across the railway line in the next housing estate has an
unsecured wireless network that is ...