[thelist] Chicken cam, UK

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Fri May 20 11:14:54 CDT 2005

> Is it possible, affordable even, to set up a webcam so we can check on
> the chickens.
>
> ****
> Possible, of course.
> Affordable - what's your budget?

Well, it's a fun thing, so it needs a fun budget.

> I'm sure you could find a solar-powered battery to supply power to
> your
> web cam/ wireless setup. Probably you don't want to stream video to
> the
> website, but you could transmit a single image every set period of
> time
> and seems to me the appropriate phone (at your end) could easily go to
> that page and show you the current image.

So this is webcam, PC of sorts, mobile for web connection.

Do the, umm, not sure what category they fall into, but the pocket PC
thingies, would they combine a camera, phone and PC? HP does such a
thing. With one of those, which obviously I could use after the
holiday, we might have everything we need.

> Regarding the chickens, since I have experience with this (I live in a
> rural area and we have several chickens) the greatest danger occurs at
> night, since foxes and (here in the US) coyotes and raccoons are
> nocturnal. Hopefully, your father has made sure such predators will
> not
> be digging under the chicken coop. Trust me, they do that.

Yes, thanks, he's very proud of the fact that the netting is a single
tube, part of which is buried underground.

I thought you were going to say, so do you want nighttime pictures.
Well, in version 2.0 we could add a motion sensor and infra red, but
I'd be concerned the red light would make it a target .. allotments
get vandalised too .. his previous shed was burned down, so he built a
metal one.

So let's stick with daytime for 1.0 :-)