[thelist] Looking for simple way to get JS statistics from my visitors.

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Fri May 20 13:48:22 CDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-20 at 10:37 -0700, barophobia wrote:
> Thank you for your input but I have been involved in many discussions
> on accessibility. But it's my opinion that a website creator/owner
> should be able to pick and choose which audience they want to cater to
> and which audience they want to leave hanging.

Right, and "users with Javascript-capable browsers" makes no sense as a
target audience. You may as well author for "users with IP addresses
ending in an odd number" or "users with a computer serial number that
doesn't end in 1".

> If 95% of my users surf without JS and I choose to support only users
> that surf with JS enabled that's my choice. And if my business fails
> as a result, I've got no one else to blame but myself. I don't need
> anyone protecting me from myself.

This runs completely counter to the entire reason the Web exists to
begin with. The idea is, one means of accessing information
electronically, regardless of computer type, operating system, client
program (browser), etc. That is why Tim Berners-Lee created the Web,
because this didn't exist.

Getting back to the original query, what the heck *is* the purpose of
counting Javascript-enabled hits if it's not to justify hanging
non-Javascript-capable browsers out to dry later? Inquiring minds want
to know, indeed.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>