[thelist] Chicken cam, UK

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Fri May 20 14:54:57 CDT 2005

> Breaking down the sub-issues:
>
> * Power - Probably the smallest problem of the lot. If there is no grid
> accessible, then any of the suggestions already given for solar, a used car
> battery, R/C batteries ... and some knowledge of wiring power conversion
> electronics ... would do the trick.
>
> * Security - Neuro brought this up and it's an important consideration.
> How 'public/private' is this area where the chickens are?  How likely
> is your kit to disappear with the chickens? (If it has free and complete
> public access, then how 'bout giving us an address? ... I can have the
> grill fired up in a few moments!) If there is a building nearby, making
> friends there could greatly simplify the problem.
>
> * Bandwidth - You need to get the signal from the camera out to where you
> can work with it. Some of the available options include wire, radio,
> infrared, microwave, satellite ... all at somewhat different price points
> mind you.
>
> * Signaling - Do you need to turn the camera on and off?  Pan?  Zoom?
> Focus?  Do you need more than one camera?  Any of those could lead to
> extra kit and extra expense in adding that level of 'intelligence' ...
> and thereby increasing the need for security.

What about the legal implications?
If the camera were to be on a public server, wouldn't  he  need to
have a legal statement of each chicken that it is OK with being
viewable in public?
What about underage chicken? Will there be a legal guardian for them
to sign (which brings the whole who came first - egg or chicken -
debate up again)?
Any lawyer on the list who could help with that?

--
Chris Heilmann
Blog: http://www.wait-till-i.com