[thelist] Looking for simple way to get JS statistics from myvisitors.

M. Seyon evoltlist at delime.com
Sat May 21 16:37:22 CDT 2005

Message from Christian Heilmann (5/21/2005 09:50 AM)

> > >Web content is not a luxury item, that is only available to a chosen few.
> > >It is as
> > >plain as that.
>
> > That's a singularly uninformed first-world mentality. Just because Internet
> > penetration has reached the levels it has in your country, don't assume
> > it's the same throughout the world.
>
>I never assumed that.

So in what context were you couching your 'chosen few' comment? Restricted
to users from the first world?

> > I guess you also think things like access to electricity and running water,
> > driving around in a car and talking on a telephone  and watching cable tv
> > are also not only available to a "chosen few"?
>
>You guess wrong. I neither have a car nor TV.

Firstly, I didn't ask whether *you* had any of those things. I asked
whether you thought they were available to the masses, rather than to a
chosen few.

Secondly, in your case, do you not own a car or a tv by choice, or by
force? There is a very distinct difference.

Almost as distinct as "I choose to javascript enrich my site, to the
detriment of some users. I make that choice as an informed user rather than
because some marketing centric boss is breathing down my neck."

Why don't you own a TV Christian? Don't you know how many ads you're
preventing advertisers from shoving at you? Is that fair to them? You
should get a tv so they can show you all those ads that they show everyone
else.

Yes it makes no sense at all, but it is more comparable to your 'thou shalt
not Javascript-restrict' argument than the crack cocaine attempt was.

>Some Facts:
>
>- There are  a lot of people without Internet access, therefore it is
>a luxury item
>- Of those who have Internet access, some cannot access JavaScript
>dependent content

Didn't you earlier say "Web content is not a luxury item". I don't
understand the about turn.

regards.
-marc

--
Trinidad Carnival in all its photographic glory. Playyuhself.com
http://www.playyuhself.com/