[thelist] Apache SSL setup

Dave Merrill dmerrill at usa.net
Sun May 22 22:04:51 CDT 2005

Let me try to describe my question better:

For non-ssl operation, the port being used is set in
[apache_root]/conf/httpd.conf, by the line:
	Listen [port_number]
...where [port_number] is usually 80, but it's not in my case. I'm running
on a non-standard port, for a variety of reasons. There's at least one other
place in that file that needs to match that setting too.

For ssl operation, the port being used is set in
[apache_root]/conf/ssl/ssl.conf, by the line:
	Listen [port_number]
...where [port_number] is usually 443.

What I'd like is to only accept ssl connections on [port_number], so it
seems clear that the ssl port should be [port_number].

What should I use for the non-ssl port (or other config setting), so that it
allows only ssl connections on [port_number]? I tried port 0, but apache
complains and won't start.

The one thing I tried that seems to work is:
	Listen 0.0.0.0:80

Bearing in mind that I have no intention of responding to straight port 80
http requests at any url, is that a sensible thing to do? Or a nonsense
config that accidentally works, so far? Is there an official way to do this?

Thanks again,

Dave Merrill