[thelist] Iterate through result set - Is this possible? (SQL)

Burhan Khalid thelist at meidomus.com
Tue May 31 01:33:21 CDT 2005

Hello Everyone:

   I've run into a bit of a logic problem with SQL, and I don't think
the solution is with SQL.  Hopefully someone can clear this up.

   I want to find the two sets of dates that differ by atleast 7 days.

   There are two tables, halls_events (hallid, eventid) and events (id,
name, start_date, end_date)

   So far, I've managed to get the correct start dates for all events
that are in a particular hall with the following (MySQL):

   SELECT start_date FROM events WHERE id IN (SELECT eventid FROM
halls_events WHERE hallid = 2);

   What I would like to do is something like :

   SELECT start_date FROM events WHERE id IN (SELECT eventid FROM
halls_events WHERE hallid = 2) AND DATEDIFF(start_date,start_date) > 7;

   Basically, loop through the results and compare each pair of
start_dates. The above doesn't work.  Is this something that I need to
solve on the server side? Or am I missing some SQL magic?

Thanks,
Burhan