[thelist] Database merging

Evolt evolt at ultraspace.com
Tue May 31 17:58:44 CDT 2005

Hello:

I have a question about database development.

How do I go about merging databases? The problem is that the databases
on the production and staging servers are different, and now I need to
move stage to production. Production has some tables that no longer
exist in stage, and vice versa. In addition, some columns have been
removed and others added.

We're running PostgreSQL 7.3.

I know that this problem isn't specific to Postgres, though.

I've been looking all over for any help and it looks like it's slim
pickings out there (probably because I'm not using the right terminology).

Correct terms and any advice or resources would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!!!!
Greg