[thelist] Database merging

Evolt evolt at ultraspace.com
Wed Jun 1 10:12:35 CDT 2005

 > Hello:
 >
 > I have a question about database development.
 >
 > How do I go about merging databases? The problem is that the databases
 > on the production and staging servers are different, and now I need to
 > move stage to production. Production has some tables that no longer
 > exist in stage, and vice versa. In addition, some columns have been
 > removed and others added.

Responding to my own post here.

First, thanks for the responses from everyone -- I appreciate it.

For the benefit of anybody looking at this looking for advice, one of my
coworkers suggested that I should have documented the changes that I
made as I was making them. Doh! Clearly, this would have made my job
much easier (for example, even saving the SQL that I used to add columns
  to the stage database would have come in handy right about now).

I guess an old dog forgets old tricks sometimes!

Anyway, thanks again for the pointers!