[thelist] browser/app question...

Peter Brunone (EasyListBox.com) peter at easylistbox.com
Thu Jun 2 13:17:46 CDT 2005

   Yeah, image maps do sound more in line with what Bruce described in his response to this.

 From: Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com

Pater,

On 6/2/05, Peter Brunone (EasyListBox.com) wrote:

> Well then, the way I'd probably do it would be to create a 2Darray of dot/circle data, and then use that to render a table (hold your flames, please!) with an image in each cell. When the image is clicked, you can store a value in a hidden field (multiple values could be a delimited string) and post the whole thing back to the server.
>
> This of course assumes Javascript availability, but the rest of it is pretty basic.

It also assumes that it's not a problem if the user cheats. There's a
bit more control in that area when one is using a Java applet and (I
assume, but haven't looked into it) Flash. (Although, it's obviously
still a problem, just less of one.)

But, if one's going to go with a solution like yours, one could
instead use image maps of an image with the dots already placed. The x
and y coordinate of the click would then be accessible, and would be a
bit more precise. It would also avoid the need for a table. The images
could be pre-made or easily created with PHP and the GD library or
similar packages.

--
Matt Warden
Miami University