[thelist] Help with Database

Ed McCarroll Ed at ComSimplicity.com
Thu Jun 2 14:29:46 CDT 2005

> I want to make sure that the database will be flexible enough
> that if the site gets really big that we won't have to modify
> the DB much.

What do you mean by "really big"?  How many records?  Perhaps more
importantly, how many concurrant queries?

Filemaker and Access are fine for a few thousand records, assuming
light traffic.  I have an Access page up with about 1000 records,
and less than 10,000 hits/month; it does fine.

OTOH, if you're talking millions of records, or more than a dozen or
so concurrant hits, you'll need to step up.