[thelist] pixel perfect requirements and web standards

Steven Streight vaspersthegrate at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 5 19:27:34 CDT 2005

I'm guessing that the print designer wants pixel
perfect so the site is scalable for various size
screens, from PCs to handhelds.

Or is he equating pixels with the print equivalent of
points or whatever? (I left print publishing of direct
marketing material in the early 90s, so a bit rusty.)

Large file images are time-consuming to load, so in
most cases, will severely cripple the usability and
user traffic at the site, correct?

I nearly always bail out of even fascinating-seeming
new sites if the download takes more than 15 seconds.
Maybe not "rational" but is "expectational", we are
trained by the good sites to see downloads of 2 to 10
seconds at most. Conditioning of user perception and
anticipation.

Flash intros I always bypass when the option is there
as a selectable item. I seek no entertainment, just
info. I'm more a writer than designer.

You should explain the Audience intended for this
site.

Most users, of any type, though, are in a hurry. Fast
download is Law #1, with few exceptions, though
seasoned web designers know what they are.

You may have to somehow teach him the basic concepts
of pixilation, browser rendering, etc.

It seems his problem is simply not being fully
initiated into web construction and interface reality.

Hope this poor attempt to add to the conversation is
helpful.

VITAL: what is the purpose, target audience, and
constraints of this project site?

:^)

Steven Streight
"Hate your blog, then improve it."