[thelist] Where's the space coming from ?

Terry Clark terry_clark at bloomsbury.com
Tue Jun 7 05:14:39 CDT 2005

>http://tinyurl.com/aujlk
>
>The problem is most notable if one changes their text size to largest
in IE, but the problem is there at all sizes, just not as noticeable.
What I can't figure out, is where the extra padding/margin at the top of
each of the main navigation items, is coming from.

>See how the hover isn't as nice in IE?  There's a gap, and when at
larger font size, it's obvious something is wrong ... I just don't know
>what. :) FF is displaying it fine,  how I would expect.  It's IE6 on
Win2K that's giving me grief.

>There's a slight similar problem on hover with the Family Ties box on
the right too.

>It's as if IE is adding padding/margin to the border ... I have no idea
at this point.

I think this has something to do with how the two browsers implement
their "zooming" functionality

FF overrides any fixed font size setting (such as 12px) and inreases
according to the users wishes  while IE keeps any fixed font sizes ,
however the line height changes and this is where your padding is coming
from, so if you set the line height in your stylesheet this could solve
the problem (sorry no time to test my theory at the moment)

Terry

Note:
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. Bloomsbury Publishing Plc and any of its subsidiaries each reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to be the views of any such entity.

Thank You.