[thelist] [Marketing] AdWords, AdSense, Overture, etc

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Wed Jun 8 02:51:17 CDT 2005

>> At 18:43 15/03/2005, Joshua Olson wrote:
> That's interesting.  Both Overture and Google SPECIFICALLY say to not
> include the city/area when creating keywords.  Are they providing bad
> advise?

I've not seen that, have you a reference?

It may be because they provide the ability for ads to appear in
geographically selected regions. So if you want tall people in New
York, you can make sure your ad only appears to people browsing in New
York, and so there's no need to target the keyphrase "tall clothes in
New York", "tall clothes" will suffice.

I'm not confident that really works so well outside the US though.
I've a feeling the US has regional ISPs whereas in the UK at least
it's all national. I just don't know whether the geographic model gets
flakey outside the US.